The hereR package provides an interface to the HERE REST APIs for R:
(1) geocode and autosuggest addresses or reverse geocode POIs using the Geocoder API;
(2) route directions, travel distance or time matrices and isolines using the Routing API, Matrix Routing API and Isoline Routing API;
(3) request real-time traffic flow and incident information from the Traffic API;
(4) find public transport connections and nearby stations using the Public Transit API;
(5) request intermodal routes using the Intermodal Routing API;
(6) get weather forecasts, reports on current weather conditions and astronomical information at a specific location from the Destination Weather API.
Locations, routes and isolines are returned as
You can install the released version of hereR from CRAN with:
Install the development version from GitHub with:
This package requires an API key for a HERE project. The key is set for the current R session and is used to authenticate in the requests to the APIs. A free login and project can be created on developer.here.com. In order to obtain the API key navigate to a project of your choice in the developer portal, select ‘REST: Generate APP’ and then ‘Create API Key’.
To set the API key, please use:
Once valid application credentials are created and the key is set in the R session, the APIs can be addressed using the functions shown in the following examples. A more detailed description can be found in the documentation of the functions and the package vignettes.
Geocoding & Search API: Autosuggest and geocode addresses or reverse geocode POIs.
geocode(c("Schweighofstrasse 190, Zurich, Switzerland", "Hardstrasse 48, Zurich, Switzerland")) autosuggest(c("Schweighofstrasse", "Hardstrasse")) reverse_geocode(poi)
Routing API: Construct route geometries with elevation (dim =
Matrix Routing API: Request a matrix of route summaries.
route_matrix(poi, transport_mode = "car", traffic = TRUE) route_matrix( geocode(c("Schweighofstrasse 190, Zurich, Switzerland", "Hardstrasse 48, Zurich, Switzerland")), transport_mode = "bicycle", traffic = FALSE )
Isoline Routing API: Construct isolines around points (time, distance or consumption).
Traffic API: Get real-time traffic flow or incidents in a specific area.
Public Transit API: Request public transport connections between points or find stations nearby.
Intermodal Routing API: Get routes with various combinations of transport modes.
intermodal_route(poi[1:2, ], poi[3:4, ])
Destination Weather API: Request weather observations, forecasts, astronomical information or alerts at specific locations.